About the Muslim Parliament
The Muslim Parliament is a forum whose purpose is to debate, campaign and lobby on issues concerning the Muslim community in Britain. It is a non-governmental organisation dedicated to promoting community interests. It operates through a number of committees, each with its own remit. These committees work along with related campaign groups in the country.
The following are the main committees:
- Campaign against the Anti-terrorism Acts
- Campaign against forced marriages
- The ‘Focus on the Mosque’ campaign
- Campaign against underachievement of Muslim children in state schools.
Additionally, the Muslim Parliament supports the following campaigns:
- The anti-war movement opposing the American occupation of Iraq and Afghanistan and supporting freedom for Palestine
- Awaaz South Asia Watch: a group campaigning against fundamentalism and extremism
- Liberty: a civil rights group
- CAMPACC – Campaign Against Criminalizing Communities
- Committee to Defend Asylum Seekers